MindFreedom News -
09 September 2009
This Saturday's web radio show is your chance to talk
Listen in and speak out about Mad Pride, Mass Media, and
Creating our own Media
through arts, music, theater, activism.
More info on guests:
** Bonfire Madgian Shive is a psychiatric survivor
musician who speaks
out about Mad Pride, and has helped reach many people
about the Icarus
Project. Madigan is also a visionary cellist, vocalist,
performing artist, cmmunity activist and international
from the United States. See her web site here:
** Ruth Ruth is one of the leaders in Mad Pride activities
Canada. Images from their Mad Pride events -- including
banners, bed push -- made it onto the ABC-TV piece. Ruth
Ruth is a
community theatre director with The Friendly Spike Theatre
community theatre for psychiatric survivors and people
The Friendly Spike is celebrating their 20th anniversary!
Ruth Ruth is a
part time disability studies student at Ryerson School of
Studies. See info on Friendly Spike Theater here:
** Ann Rider is director of Recovery Empowerment Network
Arizona. She helped organize this year's main annual
advocates and activists to change the mental health
system, the National
Association for Rights Protection and Advocacy (NARPA).
Directly at the
end of the conference, Ann reports live with the latest
news. NARPA is a
founding sponsor of MindFreedom International. More info:
** The host is MindFreedom director David W. Oaks (lower
For bio see:
Again, to listen live or hear archives later, click here:
And mark your calendar for every Second Saturday in 2009
MindFreedom Live Free Mad Pride Radio!
For news alert on show with photos and live links:
- For a Nonviolent Revolution in Mental Health - please
- Mad Pride vs. Mass Media: Next MindFreedom Live Web Radio
- *This* Saturday, 12 September 2009.
- ** Bonfire Madigan Shive, musician and psychiatric
survivor featured on
- ABC-TV show on Mad Pride.
- ** Ruth Ruth, psychiatric survivor theater leader from
Toronto, chair of
- MindFreedom Mad Pride Campaign.
- ** Ann Rider reports live from National Association for
- Protection and Advocacy 2009 conference in Phoenix,
- latest news.
- Host: David W. Oaks, psychiatric survivor, also
interviewed on ABC-TV
- How to listen and call-in Live to:
- MindFreedom Mad Pride Live Free Web Radio
- When: This Saturday, 12 September 2009 -- 90 minutes.
- * USA: 11 am Pacific, 12 noon Mountain, 1 pm Central, 2 pm
- UTC/GMT: 6 pm [18:00] * London/Dublin: 7 pm [19:00] *
Berlin: 8 pm
- [20:00] * New Zealand: 6 am
- At that thime click here to listen and call-in Live (or
click after the
- show to hear archives):
- Your live calls, questions, comments, are welcome!
- Mad Pride vs. Mass Media
- You've heard of Gay Pride? Make room for Mad Pride.
- But it looks like big corporate media is getting a case of
- about mad pride.
- ABC-TV did a segment on Primetime Outsiders about Mad
Pride on 25
- August 2009, featuring an interview with activist Bonfire
- Shive. Unfortunately, ABC-TV distorted the message about
Mad Pride and --
- like so much mass media -- luridly sensationalized
violence by a few
- people with psychiatric labels.
- For an open letter to ABC-TV producer Ia Robinson from
- click here:
DENDRITE is a public Internet alert system about human
rights in psychiatry, sponsored by Support Coalition
International, sending out notices to thousands of concerned
people, many of whom take ACTION NOW!